Your gums play an important part in your overall health and well-being. If you have pink, rosy gums and fresh breath, that is one indicator of proper oral health. If, on the other hand, you are experiencing any bleeding in your gums, have pockets which grow between your teeth and gums, or see consistent build-ups of plaque, then you may be seeing the beginning signs of periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease is the name for any type of decay or infection in your gums. When you have any level of periodontal disease, your existing gum tissue and the bones which surround and support your teeth are at risk of future damage and increasing infection.
Garden City dentist Dr. Carla Roher knows that periodontal care is a critical element of your long-term dental health. Please call (912) 355-0605 to learn how our dental office can help treat gum disease.
Causes of Gum Disease
The primary culprit in causing gum disease is the growth of bacteria on your teeth and gums. Dental plaque contains many microbial bacteria organisms which present as a sticky, clear substance produced in your mouth.
If you have any of the following factors, you are highly likely to get gum disease. These include:
- The habit of smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Inadequate brushing and flossing - meaning you do not clean your teeth well at home or are not getting your regularly scheduled dental cleanings.
- A genetic history of gum disease.
- Having a health issue which weakens your immune system.
- Unhealthy diet - if you drink lots of soda or eat many foods which contain carbohydrates, your will be more susceptible to plaque.
When you see any signs of gum disease, see your dentist immediately. Early detection is often the best prevention for any future, more serious health issues.
To find out how our Garden City dental team treats gum disease, please contact Medical Arts Dentistry. Call (912) 355-0605 today to schedule your personal gum examination and consultation.